Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grandpa Crummett 1927-2009

This past Monday my Grandpa Crummett passed away. He was home in McCall. We had the opportunity to go an d visit him when he was in the hospital in Boise on May 04, 2009. This was Tammy's dr. appointment when we found out what our baby will be. So we took the kids with us so they could share that experience with us (we are having a girl by the way). So he was aware that there was another great-grand daughter on the way.



Being the oldest grandchild and my brother being the second oldest, we had many opportunities to spend time with Grandpa that others may not have. I remember going to McCall frequently growing up so that even though they were in McCall, Grandma and Grandpa Crummett were close. I remember walking up to the top of his driveway through the trees to a home that was under construction at the edge of the hill and looking down on the McCall airport to the north and Franklin Building Supply to the south. I remember when they would have the McCall air show walking through the trees and sitting on a couple of the boulders in the woods watching the planes with Grandpa.



I remember how dedicated he was to make sure that there was always a gassed up snow machine ready to go when we would come up for the weekend. He was also ready to show us where the shovel was in case we got stuck while zooming through the pasture. I appreciate that he had us help with chores while we were up there. He would even get our friends that we brought up there to contribute by doing chores.



I remember as a young boy and later as an adult going out and cutting trees for firewood. Then bringing it back to his house to get ready for winter. Or load it up in pick-ups for the drive back to the valley.



I remember having the opportunity to float the Middle Fork of the Salmon River with he and grandma. He worked so hard maneuvering that raft, it was hard to believe that he was retired.



I remember that even after retiring from Idaho Power he still was always willing to share his knowledge of electricity. I remember helping my mom replace an outlet in her bathroom and we called grandpa to ask a question about replacing a standard outlet with a Ground fault circuit interrupter. Mom had mentioned to grandpa while talking that while disconnecting the out let she had been shocked. He gave his advice and she and I finished the project. About an hour later he called worried that he had not heard from us and that we might have been shocked again (or worse).



I have more memories than I can write today, but I wanted to share some of my fondest.



One last one. Grandpa was very supportive when Mom passed away. I was the executor and between Cort and I there were many decisions to be made and even though he might have made different decisions he supported us and wanted us to be happy.



I love you Grandpa. Say 'Hi!' to Grandma Crummett, Catherine, Addie, and Mom for me.



Here is a link to his obituary.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

So sorry for your loss, but I'm sure Grandpa is having quite the reunion. I sometimes wonder if grandparents ever really understand what kind of an impact they have on our childhood. Drive safe, we'll see ya later.

~Stacey