Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Got the call...

This happened a few nights ago, but with searching for pictures of Grandpa Crummett, getting the kids together and going to the funeral I did not have time to post this week.



Anyway, while looking for pictures I got a phone call; a survey call. This was a political survey done by the NRA. I am not anti gun or anti hunter, but I do not own a gun, nor do I see myself owning a gun in the future. I have gone shooting many times and I enjoy it. I an a life-long/ native Idahoan and have been around people who use and enjoy firearms. Well this call was fairly simple. First, they verified who I was. Then asked if I would be willing to listen to a message from the executive director or vice president or something like that. Anyway the message complained about how the "gun haters" in congress were going to take away "our rights" and make us register our guns. After the message the person returned to the call to ask the survey question "Do you think that the gun hating congress will protect your second amendment rights?" My response was "Yes, I do." I guess they called the wrong Idahoan that night.



I don't think that the government is going to round up gun owners just because they register their guns. There are manny other things that the government could use to round people up, but they don't because our nation is a nation of laws. We believe in the rule of law and with the exception of the past eight years, it is not common practice for the United States government to round up groups of people and take away their rights.



I have two things about this situation that I have to say.
First- what a loaded question. Apparently they only want biased opinions that agree with their position.
Second- What is wrong with registering guns? We have to register our cars, motorcycles, boats, and pets. I have said this before that I believe in personal responsibility. That entails having knowledge of the location and usage of the firearm at all times. If that firearm is lost, stolen, or otherwise misplaced then the owner of the firearm should report the indecent to the authorities and if they neglect to do so, then they should be held responsible for anything that happens with that firearm. "With great power comes great responsibility".



I believe that the "gun hating congress" IS trying to protect us and not serve the purposes or the gun lobby, firearms manufacturers, or those fringe groups who would hoard weapons to endanger the lives of law abiding citizens.

1 comment:

Willie E. said...

I get the same call from an "Unknown Name" every single night. After looking it up on the net, it is coming from the NRA. I am a gun owner but I dislike the way they do their stinkin' surveys. The phone call always comes when you don't want it, always before or during the kids bedtime routine.