Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What to wear? But not for me...

I sort of have an obsession…I love changing how things look. It started with changing desktop wallpaper on my various computers. I was always in the appearance control panel using the latest picture that I found (it drove my wife crazy). Then when I worked for EDS/ HP it was one of the only things that I could change on my computer, so I changed it all the time. When I got a cell phone that would let me make appearance changes I played with that too. I currently have a Sony Ericsson Z520a and I am always scouring various websites looking for new themes and ways to tweak the phone. I have uploaded MP3 and AAC audio files to use as ring tones and even helped my mother-in-law put “Peter and the Wolf” as her ring tone. I found a WAP simulator website that allows me to download themes without being charged on my phone plan. I went to the Sony Ericsson website and registered as a developer to get the Theme Creator application they had to create my own themes and I researched which phones used similar themes so that I could look for them to use with my phone. I have actually created one theme on my own, but I have converted quite a few themes that are for other Sony Ericsson phones that with a little tweak will work on mine. I created one based on images I found online for the new Superman Returns movie. I currently have 48 different theme files on my phone. It is what most of the memory on the phone is used for. (Right now I have a theme called “earphones” that shows a few pairs of earphones dangling on the screen, I got it from the Sony website but it was for another phone and I modified it for my phone.). It has been fun getting to know the ins and outs of my phone and I even headed off a potential error by updating the phone software from the Sony Ericsson site. Technology can be so much fun, from my phone to my iPod I love playing with gadgets. I can defiantly see a day where wireless communication will be the only way people communicate and cell phone/computer/ media content delivery will all be the same thing. So late adopters to cell phones will have a steep learning curve to catch up with the kids. If you have a Z20 or see any cool tricks for it let me know. Chrisrpeterson at gmail.com

No comments: