Monday, October 25, 2010

Walkman...

I heard on the radio that Sony was retiring the cassette walkman. This is a sad day for portable music enthusiasts. I got my first walkman in Jr high. This was a sony walkman (remember Mega Bass). Previously I had a couple other portable cassette / radios that were ok, but they were always wearing out. I listened to them alot! In Jr high I lived too close (less then 1 mile - .8 miles) to ride the bus so I walked. Many days I got dropped off by my parents on the way to work, but when the bell rang to end the school day at 2:25 PM, I was on my own and walked home. That walkman was a great walking companion.

During this time I didn't have a drivers licence so the easiest way to independently go to a friends house was on a bike or hoof it! Many nights I remember walking home in the twilight listening to my walkman. Whether it was Huey Lewis & The News, Information Society, or Jimmy Smith... I never walked home alone. I could picture myself in another place listening to that music. I was not in a quiet Idaho town... I was in Chicago listening to Count Basie or Wes Montgomery...or watching Bono belt out With or Without You.

I stopped using my aiwa iteration of the walkman in college. The library would have been too quiet without it. Since then I've had a few iPods and I love 'em, don't get me wrong... But there is something with the hum of the tape motor and how when the batteries got low your favorite song would play just a little slower, letting you know it was time for new ones. walkman you were a good companion and you'll be missed.

1 comment:

Willie E. said...

Man, Chris, I had a Sony Walkman just like that too! It's funny how I moved on from the cassette player to the portable CD player when they were popular too. The iPod has nothing on the Walkman!!!!