Sunday, June 27, 2010

Growing up and keeping cool!

Idaho in the summer is hot. Growing up keeping cool was pretty important (not just in the yearbook- 'Stay Cool for the summer' way either). We moved into our house on W Hudson in 1978. I was 4 Cort turned 2 that summer. The house had no lawn,  so we planted one. Growing up in that house was a lot of fun. Plenty of room for us and room to play. But the heat... We had A/C in the house, but outside it was warm.

One of the ways that we cooled off was swimming in the canal or ditch (whatever you want to call it). There was a canal that ran just behind our street, the Phyllis Canal. Our dad bought life vests for us and we all used to tube down the canal along about a quarter mile stretch. Then when we got older and were good swimmers we would go there on our own. It was a great way to keep cool. I know that canals are dangerous and I do not take my kids floating, like my dad did. But, when I was growing up- it was fun- we were safe- and we were smart.

There was also a place called "the ropes" a mile or so from our house where a few irrigation ditches converged. The trees had grown over and shaded it perfectly. It was only four feet deep or so and all sand on the bottom. It made the perfect place to swim and swing from the ropes that people had hung there. It was just the way you imagine it. Cool water- a shaded area - great summer fun.

Enjoy the hot days!

FYI- for disclosure sake- here is a PSA about canal safety



3 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Very fun! and funny that we were thinking about the same thing! yes--times have changed with seatbelts and bike helmets and no canal swimming. I'm sure our parents thought they were a lot safer than their parents too :)

Broncop3t3 said...

It's my little place to spew my thoughts. Nothing too fancy... but fun!

Willie E. said...

I also remember sitting in the back of the truck while we drove through town too! We are now just downstream from that same canal you lived by as a kid - we told our kids to NEVER go by the water. A scare tactic more than anything I guess! Google earth and Bing aerial photos are awesome!