Tuesday, February 23, 2010

They're into it... are you?

Have you ever gotten in to something for a friend? I mean you actually learned about something, researched it, and studied it; because someone close to you was interested in it? Have you been the person whose friend was such a good friend they wanted to share an experience with you that they learned about what YOU liked? I have been in both of these situations. 

Got in to it! When I was in high school I had a friend who I really liked spending time with and this friend liked country music. In my house we did not listen to country music, not one bit. The closest music that even sounded like country would have been my Dad’s Kingston Trio LPs… not country at all. Well during my junior and senior years in high school I started to listen to some country music. There were some artists and songs that were a little too twangy for me. But when Alan Jackson, Diamond Rio, or Garth Brooks came on the radio I would have to turn it up. I have some country on my iPod thanks to this time in my life. Later on I made another friend that also liked certain country music artists and because of the first friend I was ready to listen and share this not immediately belittle it. Made for a much better experience with the second friend and our friendship was better because of it (I even went to a Shania Twain Concert with this friend). 

They got in to it! I like LOST (You can probably tell that by some of the posts here). My wife really never has. For the past few years she would suffer through me watching each episode. She never complained, she just watched the episodes with me and when I offered commentary she listened. Even though she didn’t care about LOST or my opinion on the episode I was watching. The final season of LOST recently started and around the same time I was talking to my wife on IM and she mentions to me that she is going to watch an episode of LOST online. She watched the pilot episode. Why did she do that… because she wants to take interest in something that interests me. What a great wife I have. She is willing to take an interest in something that I like in order spend more time with me. She must really love me.
Good thing I love her too!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

The things we do for those we love and care about. Many times have I sat through an action flick or a B, below B, movie just because. Or the times that I've dragged him into the fabric/crafting store, clothing store, furniture store... just shopping! Good thing we have a reason to expand our horizons.

~Stacey