Thursday, November 12, 2009

CD... Ever bought one of those?

Remember CDs? In this day of digital downloads and iTunes and Amazon MP3 it can be hard to remember the time when if you liked an artist you bought their CD put it in your car CD player or took it home and listened to it. There would be some songs you had heard before on the radio, others you liked instantly and still other songs that you weren't crazy about. But over time many of these songs would grow on you and you liked them. What about song order? There was a time when songs were put on an album in a certain order for a reason. One track flowed into the other sometimes seamlessly. You did not know where one ended and the other began.

As I was driving the other day I thought of this and how there are many songs that I don't listen to as much as I used to because the shuffle of my iPod or iTunes does not get to them often enough. So I have started listening to albums from start to finish, the way the artist intended. I listened to "The Joshua Tree" by U2 from track 1 to 11 and it was as good as I remembered it.

Apple has tried to rekindle this a little with a new feature in iTunes called iTunes LP. I know that I have ripped nearly all of my CDs into iTunes and that those lost tracks are there waiting for me to listen again. I am going to take the time to do what I used to do and listed to CD, whether in iTunes or my CD player.

No comments: