Saturday, November 28, 2009

Beam me up...

A friend from work went to a convention a few weeks ago in San Diego. She made us all jealous; especially me. That is so close to the old stompin' grounds of the California Carlsbad Mission (where I served as a missionary for two years). This time of year was always great like fall in Idaho, but all winter long. And of course the Pacific Ocean near by (not that I went to the ocean as a missionary, but it was still there). Anyway, she had the chance to meet a celebrity while there and she got me his autograph. None other than the original Captain Kirk himself, Will Shatner.

My uncle Danny was a huge Trekker. He loved all the incarnations of the Star Trek series and movies. He had models that he put together in his home of Klingon and Romulon Birds of Prey and of course The Enterprise. So a little of that rubbed off on me.

My brother brought over the new Star Trek movie this past week while I was recovering so we watched it one night. I love how the filmmakers have reinvented the series to bring it to a new generation. On the special features of the DVD they inter view J.J. Abrams and discuss pitching the idea to Leonard Nimoy and that getting him on board was an intricate part of the success of the film. It was great. A Christmas gift that I would not mind finding under my Christmas Tree.



1 comment:

Stacey said...

Wow... that's pretty cool. Really. I hope to find that particular DVD title under the tree too. I only saw it once and would like to see it again. And again. Probably more after that too. I was impressed by how the new actors picked up some of the old actor/character nuances, just another reason why I think it did so well. My mother, the hard core origional trekkie, loved it which is saying a lot.

With any luck, they'll make a sequel that stands up to the first.

~Stacey