Friday, October 02, 2009

My Quest...


Cars for as far as the eye can see. They're not moving though. Some are on the ground. Others are propped up on tire-less hubcaps. It was a sea of metal, well maybe not a sea. But at least a small lake or a pond. I had come searching for something.
The problem is that it is a small something, smaller than my wallet in a field full of cars. Or what used to be cars. The one dollar cover charge was no guarantee that I would get near to or even find the object I desired. As I walked through the aisles between the discarded carcasses of carriages in pursuit of my treasure I glanced through the broken windows and saw many things.  The skeletal frame left behind after a needy person removed the dashboard with the precision of a surgeon. A discarded radio that was not wanted by the last scavenger. Then I came upon one vehicle, very mangled and on the front seat two small tennis shoes. Since I have children I recognized them to be those of young children. Where did these shoes come from?  Were they in the car when it was brought here, it's final resting place? What happened to the little feet that once filled these shoes? Did they have a chance to realize their dreams and grow into larger shoes? What circumstance lead them to be here today? Or were they left by a toddler trailing after a father searching for parts for a vehicle as I was doing? Back to the task at hand. Where are the remains of the car I seek? The yard manager announces that the yard will close and the gate will be locked. Time to stop searching for today. At least the weather is turning cool, that compensates for the hot air blowing through the vents in my small, well worn car. I'll find the piece someday and I will be able to move the temperature from hot to cold and back. For now I leave the cars in peace, the peace knowing that now they are at rest. But I will return.


No comments: