Thursday, April 02, 2009

Scenes form an Idaho office.

I have about 200 CDs. Before mp3 and iPod became my preferred format I bought CDs. Sometimes I find myself listening to a CD that I haven’t listened to in a while; not just the popular tracks, but all the tracks. From beginning to end like the artist intended.

This week I have been listening to a lot of Billy Joel. Growing up in the 1980’s I heard plenty of Billy Joel on the radio and on MTV, but t
wo people really introduced me to Billy Joel. I have been thinking a lot about them both this week. They are both not around anymore. I can’t call them to chew the fat, like we did back in the day. It’s hard when they’re gone. My uncle Danny was so knowledgeable about music. I had the opportunity to work with him at his band instrument repair shop while I was in high school and we listened to all kinds of music, including Billy Joel. One afternoon after finishing work we went to a record store and he bought a CD, then he gave me a cassette; KOHUEPT (Live in Leningrad). Billy Joel live from Russia. It was a good tape. There are times during his performance that you can really hear his voice straining after being on tour for so long.

Another person Shawn also shared some Billy Joel with me. For my birthday in 1991 he gave me Billy Joel’s THE NYLON CURTAIN.
This was originally released in 1982, so not a new release when I received it. There is a song on that album Goodnight Saigon, about Marines in Vietnam and their experience. Now we weren’t in Vietnam, but we were still good friends.




Both of these men are gone and when I listen to Billy Joel I can’t help but think of them and the experiences we shared. Music is great that way. It can bring back stirring memories of people and places and experiences. We have so many things to be grateful for in our lives. Family, Friends, Life, and Love.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along

I spoke to you in cautious tones
You answered me with no pretense
And still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self defense

And every time I've held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes, and so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose

But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worst mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break


And this is why my eyes are closed
It's just as well for all I've seen
And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows

So I would choose to be with you
That's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break

And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows



***(The title of this post is a play on a song title by Billy Joel, if you know it leave it in the comments!)***

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Sorry about you loss Chris. Thanks for the post on Billy Joel it brought back some memories of my own too. Very touching.

Stacey said...

Is it Scenes from a coffee shop? No... scenes from a restuarant? Something to that effect. I'll have to google it. I remember someone sang it on Idol.

I cringe when you said 'cassette', that's just wrong. CD's have been around forever; we're not old enough to know what vinyl or tapes are! lol

Music is definately powerful and the fastest way to Memory Lane.

~Stacey

Broncop3t3 said...

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant is the Billy Joel song. Pretty close Stacey! The scary thing about the cassettes is that I still have a florescent green tape case in the closet that I has in high school!