Monday, August 18, 2008

To Boldly Go...


Space... The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.
My uncle Danny was a Trekkie. I'll admit that as a kid I loved going to visit my uncle and see all of his cool Star Trek toys. The Klingon Bird of Prey, The Romulan Bird of Prey, and of course The Enterprise. He had so many models that he had built or kits that he has put together. I remember when he lived upstairs at my grandmas house how I loved to go up there and look at all his cool stuff. I remember as we got older that he would take my brother and I to the Star Trek movies at the Karcher Twin Theater. And there were many Sunday nights that we would go visit my grandparents and find Danny watching reruns of the original Star Trek series. As I grew up I realized that I had a little Trekkie in me, as well.

I never watched Star Trek the Next Generation while it was originally airing, until I was serving as a missionary in Southern California. I had a companion May of 1994 that was Trekkie and as the series finale was about to air we were invited by a family from the church that lived in our area to watch the final episode with them. So we enjoyed dinner with the family and then viewed the last episode of Star Trek: TNG. I had to admit that I really liked it. I had seen bits and pieces before, but not really full episodes. When I returned home from missionary service I took many opportunities to view reruns and keep up to date on the happenings in the 24th Century. Even after getting married, my wife not too much of a trekkie, I would find episodes in syndication and watch. When I find Star Trek on even now, I like to enjoy an episode.
So whenever I hear about or think about Star Trek I think of my uncle Danny. Danny passed away in 1995 just two weeks before I was to return home from serving a mission for the LDS church. So he didn't see much beyond Star Trek the Next Generation.

So I have to admit that when I heard about the New Star Trek Movie that is coming out in 2009 I was excited. I know that Danny would be excited too.
The new film is a prequel to the original TV series and concerns the lives or our favorite characters before they were who we knew them as. Kirk, Spock, Bones, Sulu, Scotty, Uhura, and Checov are all coming back. So mark your calendars May 8, 2009. You know I'll be there (Danny will be there too). Live long and Prosper. Engage! Beam me up, I can't wait.

See more here.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yeah! I think. When I heard the rumors that they were making this movie, Matt Damon was in line for playing Captain Kirk. Having unknowns, sorry Matt, will probably be the best route. If anything, it will introduce those who have never seen Star Trek (those living under a rock).

I know the boys are excited.

~Stacey