Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Addition and Subtraction

I was reading a blog found through the Bloggernacle (it is fun to peruse the many offerings), there was a quote that I really liked that I wanted to share. The author was writing about learning about the Prophet Joseph Smith and may differing accounts that he had read. I think that this could be extended to any in-depth research of any organization, including The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 

"Let me put it this way. You don't reject addition and subtraction because you learn about algebra and physics. For me it was the same way with LDS Church history. I didn't lose faith because I learned something more difficult to comprehend than what I started with. If anything, those people who were blatantly anti-LDS were easy to detect because they ignored other interpretations and critical contexts. That is one reason I have a hard time believing LDS Church history is damaging to a member's testimony unless they are looking for a reason. I am just as upset by those who reject the history because it doesn't fit their pre-conceived notions." Source: Straight and Narrow Blog

When people get on shaky ground due to something they have learned, then how solid was the ground they were on in the first place. I love reading new information from people all over the world and I spend time reading LDS related blogs. People all over the world/ internet are going to church, reading about the LDS Church in the media, correcting inaccuracies and sharing testimonies. I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it is True. Christ died for our sins and we can emulate Him and return to live with Him and our families someday. I love my family, they are such a blessing in my life. I know that it is through the restored priesthood that families are eternal. 




No comments: