Thursday, October 19, 2006

Peace on Earth....

In this time of war and turmoil in the world and polarizing election coverage, on drive home last night a song played that made me think about how I felt. It was Peace on Earth, by U2.

Heaven on Earth
We need it now
I'm sick of all of this
Hanging around
Sick of sorrow
Sick of pain
Sick of hearing again and again
That there's gonna be
Peace on Earth

Where I grew up
There weren't many trees
Where there was we'd tear them down
And use them on our enemies
They say that what you mock
Will surely overtake you
And you become a monster
So the monster will not break you


The part that hit me was "They say that what you mock will surely overtake you and you become the monster so the monster will not break you". It happens all the time and so subtly that people try to prevent or work against something and then they are what they were trying to prevent. I guess I shouldn't look at others with animosity when they hold a differing opinion than mine and I shouldn't look for opportunities to belittle then either.

No comments: