Sunday, November 20, 2005

Red October and Boise beats DAV

Last weekend I had two things that brought a rush of memories back. The first was watching a movie that I had not seen for years, “The Hunt for Red October”. The Tom Clancy book turned action/adventure movie with Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin. This was a movie I saw in high school with some friends. It was the first time my parents let me see a movie on a school night. I know this isn’t a big deal to many, but for me it was a sign that my parents were conceding to the fact that I was becoming an adult. I went with Erick and Dylan to the 9pm showing and we were about the only people in the theater. Also, it is a good movie. It was the first in the Tom Clancy books made into movies with the “Jack Ryan” character and takes place before the Gorbachev era. It was good to see it again.

Last Saturday was the Boise State vs. Idaho football game. The series was 17-16-1 with Idaho having the 1 game advantage in the series. After the game the series is all tied up (17-17-1). Boise State obliterated the Idaho Vandals 70-35. As a life-long Bronco fan this game has always meant a lot to me. I remember driving to Moscow with my dad and brother and our friends for a game and all the games on the blue and Bronco Stadium. Even though the past six years Boise State has dominated the series in the recent past and scored 308 points to the 110 by U of I, I remember the 12 years straight that Idaho beat Boise State. So each time the teams meet there is apprehension on my part. Boise State did not pull ahead significantly until the second half; it was a well fought battle. An interesting side note I realized after the game, Boise State started six Idahoans U of I only three. Boise State goes against LA Tech for their final game of the season this weekend (Idaho Statesman).

So it was a weekend of memories and great football. GO BRONCOS!!!
You can find the meaning of DAV here and the significance

No comments: