Saturday, July 03, 2010

...Can you see

Hard to believe that the 4th of July is here already. The on true month of summer vacation is here (the only month without a school day). The 4th makes me think of cook outs, hot dogs, fireworks and heat.

I remember many 4ths of July going to my grandma's house in the south part of town off of South Powerline and celebrating 4th of July and my uncle Randy's birthday (it's on the 4th as well). We would have a cook out on her patio in the shade. Great Uncles and Aunts would come to enjoy the company. Uncle Danny would pull out the GOOD* fireworks that he had purchased in Wyoming while visiting his college friends. Cort and I had just mowed her lawn so it looked great!

We would shoot bottle rockets out of actual glass bottles. (I know- soda actually came in glass bottles!) It was great because we were on the edge of town and there was plenty of room that no neighbors complained. Then of course the smoke bombs came out and the tossed them into the grass and watched the smoke snake around in the grass- then rising to the surface. Red, blue, orange, puke yellow. It was good fun. Then of course if we had a little green army man, who could make the ultimate sacrifice. He could join the space program and go up on a bottle rocket. Never to return.

Now I get to share these same types of memories with my kids. I haven't made any trips to WY, but I still know where to get the good fireworks!

Happy 4th of July!


*GOOD means illegal!

No comments: